- Do not replace any stock Slackware packages unless absolutely necessary (thus far, no packages need to be replaced);
- Keep the upstream default theme and settings;
- Try and minimize outside dependencies as much as possible; and
- Make it easy to build and install by using standard style SlackBuild scripts and slack-desc and doinst.sh files that most Slackware users have become familiar with by using the SlackBuilds repository.
The scripts are hosted in a Git repo so feel free to test and offer suggestions, improvements, patches, etc. Here are some obligatory screenshots of MATE 1.8 with its default theme and background running on Slackware64-14.1:
- Q: Are there binary packages?
- A: Yes, there are packages for Slackware 14.1 x86 and x86_64 available at: http://slackware.org.uk/msb. It is still advisable to clone the git repo and build the packages yourself but these packages are available for your convenience.
- Q: Do the scripts build and run on -current?
- A: Yes, based on our testing. These scripts are developed on Slackware64-14.1 and Slackware64-current machines but should also work fine on x86 (32 bit) systems. Please be sure to read the README.TXT, KNOWN_ISSUES.TXT, and CURRENT.TXT documents as these are updated to note any potential problems or issues.
- Q: So -current is officially supported?
- A: Not exactly. Since Slackware -current is a moving target, there is no guarantee that MATE SlackBuilds will build or install on Slackware -current. Only a full install of the latest Slackware release is officially supported.
- Q: I'm getting weird issues with the panel, menu, icons, or other such things. What's up?
- A: This is rare, but if it happens, check the KNOWN_ISSUES.TXT and other docs. Usually, these kinds of issues occur when there are conflicts with other desktop environments. Backing up and moving certain directories in the user's $HOME (such as $HOME/.cache, $HOME/.config, and $HOME/.local) usually solves these issues.
- Q: How long does it take to build the packages?
- A: All the /base and /extra packages should build in 30-40 minutes on any reasonably modern machine.
- Q: Who is behind MATE SlackBuilds?
- A: Willy Sudiarto Raharjo and Chess Griffin. Please post bug reports at the Github repo or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Q: Are there any IRC support for MSB Project?
- A: Yes, we have created #msb channel on freenode network.